Thursday, October 24, 2013

Soothing Words

Soothing Words
I love honey! I love not only the sweet taste, but also the consistency. When I go to a specialty store, I always look to see what kinds of honey blends they have. Recently, I found a delicious combination that blends my favorite fragrance, lavender, with honey. I don’t know how they did it but it’s really, really good.

The Bible speaks of honey often in Old Testament stories. Like in Proverbs where honey is likened to the words we speak. Proverbs 16:24 says, “Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.”

I have been spoken to with words that felt like honey on my soul. I remember my grandmother soothing me after a certain trying situation. I will never forget the tenor of her voice and the calming words she said.

Other times I have been the recipient of the bee sting of words that pricked my soul. Those words hurt and pummeled me with accusation to the point of making me want to run away. I remember thinking I would never forgive that person for saying those words to me. Thank goodness I learned about forgiveness from my Savior. In my pride, I think that I’ll never use piercing words with anyone, but in reality I know I have.


God, wash my mouth out with the sweetness of words like you say to me so that I can say words that heal others. Help me not to use words of accusation as swords that hurt others. Keep my tongue from becoming a tool of retribution and pride. Create in me a clean heart (Psalm 51) and renew a right spirit in me. And may my actions and words be those that soothe and heal. Amen!

No comments: