Thursday, February 24, 2011

Missions, #1-First, You Stand

As a young teen I remember hearing about missions from someone. I can’t remember if it was a missionary or just a pastor preaching. I never really understood why people would leave their homes and go far, far away just to tell someone about Jesus. My heart was young and not yet tuned into what God wanted me to do, but what I wanted to do. The tragedy of the selfish human heart.

Later on I remember hearing missionaries speak in my father-in-law’s church. They often came over for dinner following the service and it was there that the little seeds of missions were planted in my heart.

I was young, married, and had a child already before I was even 20 years old. Surely all dreams of becoming a missionary were laid aside as I gained motherhood with 3 more children. But as God would have it, His plans were not my plans. My husband and I were able to travel to many foreign countries during the years we were starting our family business. It was through those travels that the little seed for missions began to grow.

As I think back on the long wait between when I first thought of becoming a missionary and the time it took for my journeys to begin, I’m not surprised God waited so long. I had so much growing up to do! Mercy! It seems like there was always something I needed to learn.

The first thing to learn was that I needed to stand up. Not just to be counted as a missionary but for the things that really counted in my life. My faith in God, my dependence upon a Holy God, and my subjection to His will for my life. I needed to proclaim to those around me that He was my all-in-all. That took guts because I knew some of my family wouldn’t understand any of this. They would ridicule and question me until I questioned my intentions myself! How can things be turned around so quickly in my head? The reasoning I had settled on to begin with wavered as they badgered me not to follow God’s leading. Who would win? What final decision would I make?

It’s amazing how much power you feel when you put your heart and mind in God’s hands. Speaking to my relatives, to my pastor, and to churches filled with people became an experience I always looked forward to. It strengthened my relationship with an Almighty God and gave me more fervor for the mission.

No comments: