Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Proverbs Piece #8 – Tasty Gossip

"The words of a talebearer are like tasty trifles, and they go down into the inmost body.” Proverbs 18:8

There have been times in my life when I have walked all the way around the block in another direction to avoid talking to a person who I know is a gossip. That was a drastic measure I know, but like the plague I try to avoid people who gossip!

There was a time in my life as a young girl when I was a gossip, so I know what they do. I used to take people’s information and think I needed to be the first one to tell everyone else! Somebody needed to tell them so why not me? Well, that came back to bite me. I won’t tell the story, but it was devastating; I learned my lesson at a very young age. I say all of that to let you know that I’m aware of how gossip hurts people. Like the verse says, it goes down like a tasty morsel but once it’s inside your heart…it literally makes you sick.

How do you avoid gossip? The first thing is to not listen! If someone begins to talk about another person or situation, walk away; end the conversation quickly before you hear something you don’t need to know. When someone starts their conversation with, “I probably shouldn’t be telling you this…but…” tell them they’re right. They probably shouldn’t be telling you whatever it is. If that doesn’t shut them up, then walk away, click off the phone, end it now before you regret it.

If you have problems with being a gossip, telling things you shouldn’t, then stop! You will never gain the trust of anyone if you are a gossip. You will lose the respect people should have for you if you are a talebearer. Is that what you want to be known for? Is that what a child of God should be doing? Dig a little deeper inside yourself and see if all the things you’re telling people really need to be told. Do you feel comfortable telling them or is the Holy Spirit telling you to zip it?

God makes it clear in this passage that being a gossip is something that will end up hurting you. It will harden your heart against compassion because you’ll hurt people with your words. Watch your mouth today. Make sure your words are lovely, not laced with gossip. Be a tasty morsel of good to someone today. You’ll love the results and it will be good for your heart!

No comments: