Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kings and Beggars – The James Sequence

“If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, You shall love your neighbor as yourself,’ you do well’ but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.” James 2:8-9

Have you ever walked the streets of your city and mentally stuck your nose up at a beggar, vagrant, or bum? Oh, you may not say anything out loud about them but as you’re driving down the street in your nice car you may be thinking in your head, “Why don’t these people get their acts together?” Do they scare you? Just what are you afraid of? Becoming like them one day?

Beggars and bums are not so different than you or me. Their struggles and failures, unlike ours, are more visible to the world’s scrutiny. But they still need a loving, caring God. They still need a Savior.

James tells us that we should show no partiality to people whether they are a king or a poor person. So how do you greet the kings and beggars who come into your church? Is it done with partiality? Do you seat the kings in the front rows and best seats and leave the beggars to sit in the back unwelcomed and alone? Sure, everyone is not so distinct to be seen as a king or a beggar, but we do play partiality even if it’s unintended.

I will never forget as long as I live how this lesson was brought to life for me as a young married inexperienced believer. My husband was witnessing to a man who had come to our church for charity. His name was Terry Heaven. He asked Terry and his wife and children to come to our home after church one evening. I panicked! These folks were not the cleanest or the best-smelling folks I’d ever met. All I could think about in my selfish heart was…they’re going to sit on my couch. Their dirty little fingers were going to touch my nice clean stuff. I was the epitome of selfishness.

My husband led Terry Heaven and his wife to Jesus that night, sitting on my couch with their little children handling all the figurines on my coffee table. I felt as if God had slapped me right upside the head! You fool! Don’t you know what’s important here, He said? That was a heavenly-timed event! One week later Terry was killed crossing a busy street in Grand Rapids. What if I had refused to let them come to my home? What if I’d thought my couch was more important than the people were? Stupid, stupid stuff! That was a good 30 years ago and I’ve learned a lot of lessons since then. Thank the LORD I’ve grown some spiritually and know that loving people is the most important thing.

So have you entertained any kings or beggars this week in your home? If not, open your door. You’ll be amazed who’s standing there waiting for you to ask them in.

No comments: