Monday, June 27, 2011

Living in the Vapor- The James Sequence

“For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.” James 4:14

Have you ever walked around a cemetery and looked at the dates on the tombstones? There are the dates the people were born, then long dashes and then the dates they died. Those dashes are what James is talking about in this verse. He calls our life a vapor, something that appears and then vanishes in a short time. It’s what’s in-between the dates, the dashes, that tell about how you’ve spent your life.

When my husband died five years ago I didn’t hesitate putting his life verse on his tombstone. That verse is Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Those verses were a testimony to my husband’s life and all he accomplished in his 60 short years. On the front of his tombstone are words about him being a father, son, husband, and champion for the unborn because of his work starting crisis pregnancy centers in Eastern Europe. These words are a testimony to a life well-lived for Christ.

In stark contrast to my husband’s tombstone is the one standing next to his. The man’s birth and death are stated and then there are two pictures engraved in stone. One is a bingo card and the other is a set of golf clubs. I’ll let you think about that for a moment. Bingo and golf, not the worst things to spend a leisurely afternoon doing, but is that all he accomplished in his lifetime? Is that the extent of how he will be remembered?

Sometimes I think it would be great to know when my last day on earth would be because I could make so many preparations beforehand. I would make contact with all my loved ones and give them goodbye hugs and kisses. I would finally witness to our unsaved relatives and friends so they would know what I believe and have an opportunity to know Jesus as their Savior. I would get my family papers in order so that relatives wouldn’t have to shuffle through them looking for relevant files. I could also arrange my funeral service so none of my favorite songs or verses get left out. It’s unfortunate, but we won’t have time to get these things in order if Christ should come back today!

When life is over and you stand before Christ to answer for that vapor that was your life, what will be your response? Will your accomplishments for Christ far outweigh the other things that occupy every moment of your life right now?

No comments: