Monday, September 12, 2011

Extraordinary People – Recommendation Series

I know people who have never left their place of birth! How could that be possible in this day and age? There are actually people who confine themselves to familiar things and miss the best part of life—meeting extraordinary people.
.
I’ve traveled a lot in my lifetime; every day is filled with meeting people with stories I couldn’t even make up they’re so amazing. On a plane trip recently I met a young man named Que who has to stay in Singapore for nine weeks at a time for his job. He has twin children and a loving wife at home in America. He doesn’t like being away from them one bit! I’m praying his job changes soon and that I planted seeds for the Lord.

You may have read that I had an exciting opportunity to travel to Singapore for a global summit for children’s ministry leaders.  While there I was introduced to hundreds of people from around the world. All of their stories were so interesting and some broke my heart to hear. I learned about customs in other countries and I told them about some of ours. We laughed together over things that were similar (children and their pranks) and cried over others (children and their needs). I will never forget their conversations or the faces of those extraordinary people telling their remarkable stories. They are forever stamped on my brain.

Keeping your world so small keeps you small. Hearing about other countries from newscasts is not experiencing the world. Reading a stagnant newspaper is not interacting with an extraordinary person. Get out into the world and experience all God has created! It’s absolutely, outrageously beautiful out there! Experience the mountains, the valleys, the buildings with grand architecture. Search for the slums and the churches and the people who can enrich your life just by knowing them. God will lead if you will go.

How? Start with a mission’s trip with a team you know from your church or a local ministry. Go prepared to minister and give of yourself. Accept their world; don’t try to change them to meet yours. Let them tell you stories about their lives and how they got to where they are now. You’ll be amazed at how humbling it is to just listen, not talk. God will bless your efforts and broaden your worldview! Go meet some extraordinary people today!

No comments: