Monday, December 19, 2011

Holidays: Friends or Foes?

When my kids were little I longed for the days when we could mess up the kitchen with Christmas cookie making and then fun crafts. It usually happened during winter break or when we got snowed in. It was fun, creative, tiring, and rewarding all at the same time. Today, my children are grown up with teenagers and busy schedules to occupy their time. Finding even two hours to spend doing something creative or fun has to be slid in between gymnastics, basketball practice, weightlifting, and band concerts. Are these the new ‘fun’ activities of contemporary times?

Everyone seems to have periods in their lives which are considered the good ol’ times. I think my grandkids are in the middle of their good ol’ times. They enjoy their events, the practices, and the challenges on multiple levels. They may not be itching to put on their snow pants and slide down a hill, but they’re doing what they enjoy. There’s nothing wrong with that!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a stickler for staying in the past, that’s for sure. I love being up-to-date technologically and keeping up with my grandkids’ gadgets, events, and schedules. The pace may be faster than when I was a kid, but hey, what hasn’t gotten faster since then?

I think I’ll kidnap a few of the kids over the holidays and take them back a few years to Christmas cookie making and crafts that are just plain fun in my book! It may seem old-fashioned to them, but I find it relaxing and enjoy seeing what kinds of cookie shapes they come up with and what crazy crafts we can make. My house will be a mess, but who cares? It’s worth it to spend some quality grandma time with them.

I could be an old Scrooge during the holidays because the kids don’t have a lot of time to spend with me, but I don’t think that helps anybody’s situation. I enjoy what I enjoy and I try to enjoy what they enjoy, too! Does that make any sense?

So keep your cool during this year’s celebrations. Remember to think beyond yourself and consider others’ schedules, not just your own. Put on a genuine smile, reflect on all God has given you: His Son’s birth, your family, and your friends. And show everyone His love. You’ll find that you will enjoy the holidays even more!

1 comment:

Jon Pickens said...

Terre, thanks for sharing! God bless!