Monday, December 20, 2010

Just DO something!

I’m no stranger to pain. This week I’m facing yet another surgery that will fix a broken part of my body. I’ll not bore you with details of the past but I’m telling you this to make you aware that our ‘light affliction’ as Paul calls it in II Corin. 4:17, is for a moment. When I have surgery I know that in just a matter of time things will get better. I’ll be out of pain, my bones, muscles and incision will heal and life will go on. This isn’t so true of everyone.

All over the world the pain of God’s creation groans without relief. I see it daily in the newspapers and on TV. The whole world is suffering! It hurts me so when I see little ones without food or injured in a war. Not to mention those living on the streets without homes or enough clothes. Then there is the persecution of our Christian youth. Just this week I heard the news of a 15 year old girl being murdered for her faith. Dear God, my heart breaks when I hear this!

It’s so easy for us to sit in our comfortable homes, with adequate food and heat, and say, “Oh, that’s so sad but what can I do? I’m just one person!” My dear friend there is so much to do that even one little action on your part will help. I know, I know, I sound like a commercial. But I want you to know that your little action, whatever it is, is helping! Whether you give to a local charity so a child will get a gift for Christmas, buy gifts and take them to a needy family, or actually serve in a foreign country where help is needed. Any action on your part will help!

Just as my pain can be healed so can the pain and suffering of our world with the Good News of Jesus Christ! This whole season is about giving, not just to one another, but to the world in it’s need. Compassion shown to just one person can make a difference. So, pick yourself up off that sorry couch, get into your car and go DO at least one thing to be Jesus to someone today!

No comments: