Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Proverbs Piece Number 9 – The Splash of Cold Milk

“The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands.” Proverbs 14:1

When my husband and I began our family, we were determined to make our home a great place for kids to grow up. I don’t mean all the stuff it takes to make a house, but the stuff it takes to make a home. I learned long ago there is a big difference between a house and a home.

Proverbs 14:1 talks about how a woman builds her family inside her house. What is she doing to encourage her children and husband? What characteristics are her children picking up from her that will help shape their personalities? What kind of disciplines is she using to train up her children in the ways of the Lord? Well, there you go, I’ve failed that one already! As a mother, I’ve done some things I’m not too proud of. One that my sons frequently bring up is about a cup of cold milk. For the sake of making a point, I’m going to tell a true story about myself. Honesty…here we come!

One night when my husband wasn’t home, my children (ranging in ages 8-14) and I were eating dinner when the phone rang. I answered the call, and it developed into a rather long and serious conversation. During that phone call, my teenage sons began to be rowdy and wouldn’t calm down. Since the phone was connected to the wall, I couldn’t leave. Soon, they became louder. They wouldn’t listen to me. The hand motions I was making failed to stop whatever they were doing, so…I did the only thing I could think of to get their attention. I threw my cup of cold milk on one of my sons who was laughing the loudest. I know, I know, not the best way to handle the situation but it instantly quieted the crowd. To this day, whenever I’m anywhere close to my son with a glass of milk, he says, “Watch out, Mom’s got milk!”

Did I leave a good impression on my kids that night? Probably not. Was that the best thing I could have done? No. I have no excuse and I am not going to make one up because sometimes Moms make mistakes—plain and simple. We’re not perfect people just because we’ve taken the handle of Mother. We fail, fall, and fake a lot of what we do because we’re making up the manual as we go. Only by the grace of God and His leading are we able to make it through those years of raising young kids.

So this week when you see your Mom for Mother’s Day, give her a hug and tell her, “Hey, thanks, Mom. I love you anyway.” She may not know what you’re talking about, but you do. Let bygones be bygones, and love her while she’s here and you’re able. You’ll never regret it.

No comments: