Monday, January 2, 2012

An Illumination or an Interruption?

My grandkids are great but every once in a while I notice that I call their names not once or twice but three times and they don't seem to hear me. I think that’s called selective hearing. Not only is it irritating but also disrespectful! Then I remember myself in similar situations and ask, Am I any different? Does God ever call my name and I’m not listening?

I've been reading the book of Daniel lately and have been amazed by how well he listened to God's voice. It seemed every time God called, Daniel answered. What a wonderful relationship to have. Daniel was completely tuned in to every word God had to tell him, which doesn't sound much like my relationship with Him.

Why don't we listen more for His voice? Why aren't we sitting on the edge of our chairs waiting to hear those soothing tones of mercy we so greatly need? Could it be that everything else in life is a barrier between us? All that stuff crowding out the Savior's voice is what we call “life.” Really? Are the interruptions WE have placed in our lives blocking out that most important voice? Can you honestly say you've taken the time to listen for it?

We make so many plans to go here and there, attend this function and that function, and be the perfect parent that we lose sight of and ignore the communication with the One who can put it all in perspective for us. I'm not talking about the next call you’ll receive on your BlackBerry or your iPhone. I'm speaking of the One and Only God of heaven and earth, your Savior, the One who cares for you the most.

Stop. Listen for the One voice that can bring calm out of chaos, direction out of fear, and peace into your troubled world. Sh-h-h, He's here.

No comments: