Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why in the World Do I Follow Him?


It is the first question on my lips every single day. WHY do I follow Christ? In my heart and mind it is not a question of let’s check Him out and see if He’s worthy or let me test Him to see if He’s truthful. It is more of a statement. I exist to follow Christ! I do what I do every day because I follow Christ. I wake up in the morning exalting His Name because I follow Christ!

He is perfect, He is truthful, He is everything that I am not. He is awesome and courageous. He is healing, comfort, and wholeness. He is perfect!

In Psalm 19:7-9, David tells why following the Lord is the only sensible way to live.
            The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul;
            The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;
            The statues of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
            The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;
The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever;
            The judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

I daresay you do not know any human being with those credentials. The LORD is the only one who can stand strong under the scrutiny of those words! Who would not want to be led by such a leader and counseled by such a wise one? Who would not want to have rejoicing in their heart and enlightening in their eyes?

This sad and sorry place we live in cannot offer us such grandness as this. I am encouraged every day by reading HIS words in the Bible. If you are down and out today, lift up your eyes to the hope that lies in Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Desire the pure and true things of His Word. Be a seeker of His ways and take His path to wisdom. You would not waste your time on lesser things once you desire His words.

As Psalm 19:10 teaches us, “More to be desired are they than gold, Yeah, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.”

No comments: