Thursday, July 25, 2013

Have You Been to the Wasteland?

I’m not talking about the Badlands of South Dakota or the Utah Salt Flats. Neither am I talking about the Phoenix deserts, Mexico, or the moon’s surface. I’m wondering if you’ve ever been to a Wasteland place in your life. You know that place where dreams are forgotten, your friends are missing, and you feel deserted by just about everyone including God. Where you’ve sat for hours thinking to yourself What in the world am I going to do? It’s a terrible place of vulnerability, those Wastelands. There are no shadows in which to hide or boulders to crawl under. You’re out in the open and simply enduring whatever comes next.

In Bruce Wilkinson’s book The Dream Giver, he calls this place a WasteLand. “If you have ever endured lengthy trials, or seen an important dream delayed, or felt forgotten by God, you know already how a WasteLand feels. In fact, you might be in a WasteLand of some kind right now.”

I have a friend going through the Wastelands right now. I recommended that she read through the book of Psalms reading some chapters over and over again until their messages sink in. This morning I read Psalm 18:16-19 and was reminded again of how God cares for us in the Wastelands of our lives.

He sent from above, he took me; He drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me, for they were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the LORD was my support. He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me. (NKJV)

No comments: