Monday, September 16, 2013

Joy Comes in the Morning

I don’t know if you have ever experienced a long, sleepless night, but I have. Whether I was worrying about a family member, going through a sickness, or just feeling extremely distressed about something, I could not sleep. No matter what I tried!

Somehow through the rolling and tossing and making a complete mess of my bed sheets, a thought would strike me. I am not alone. No, I don’t mean there was a predator in my bedroom; I realized that I wasn’t all alone by myself in my distress. God was there with me. And somehow through that thought a tiny pinhole of light began to shine on me again and I could see the distress begin to lift with the morning light.

Why does it take so long for us to realize that God brings joy in the morning? In the midst of struggles, why do we continue to wallow in the dark like a pigs stuck in the mud? Do we feel better in those horrid, dark places? No. Do we enjoy the fear of the night better than the light of day? No. Then why? Why do we burst into tears trying to find our way out of the darkness when God brings the light to us?

King David understood this dark place. He was there often when he sinned against God or became ill in his distress. He wrote the beautiful words of Psalm 30 when he penned, “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning” (NKJV). Oh, what wonderful joy we see when we take our eyes off ourselves and our problems and lift them to the Savior!


Remember this the next time you begin another long night of worry, distress or pain. God is there. Only HE can bring the light of His love to shine on your situation and bring the joy that comes in the morning! Amen!

No comments: