Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Grand Promise: The Grand Finale!

“Sunday, Monday, Happy Days! Tuesday, Wednesday, Happy Days!” Many of you will remember this song from the Happy Days TV show years ago. Somehow it has been chosen as our homecoming song from trips I’ve taken with my grandkids. We get to the end of their driveway, open all the windows and turn on that song with the volume up as high as we can get it! All 600 feet of their driveway, we sing at the top of our lungs and are glad to be home!

That’s how we ended our recent trip to the Grand Canyon, too. We were certainly all happy to be home and out of that 23-foot box called an RV. So what kind of trip did we have? What memories will those grands and their grandma cherish in the years to come?

I hope that they remember God’s amazing creation on display throughout our trip. Also, they will recall that five people CAN survive a two-week trip cramped in a camper! And then the biggest part is that they will always know their grandma loves them with all her heart.

Before we left, numerous people said to me, “Wow, you’re brave to do that!” or “I don’t think I could do that!” To all of them I reply, “Why not?” Isn’t it our privilege to be grandparents and to have good relationships with our kids and grands? Isn’t it amazing to think that God has allowed us to live long enough to enjoy watching them grow up and become amazing men and women?

Never knowing how much time we have here on this earth I take it as a gift from God to be physically able to take a trip like this one. I cherish the times each one took turns sitting next to me in the front seat and I was able to listen to them talk about their friends, their relationship with God, and their future. Those times are few and far between when their busy school schedules begin again in the fall.

I know God planned our memorable Wild West trip and I am so very grateful to Him! I am praying, even now, for more times with my other grands to create Grand memories!
The End!


No comments: