Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Busted Gift

The Busted Gift—Part 1

Back in the 60s when I was in high school, most of the girls I spent time with were pretty conservative. I mean, we had a ton of fun without getting into trouble and most of us went to church.

My parents, neither my mom nor dad, ever sat me down and explained anything about purity. It was pretty much whatever you learned from the girls at school. Sometimes it was what you heard about certain girls who were talked about by the boys and you knew you never wanted to be one of them.

When I was in eleventh grade, a classmate got pregnant. I have a clear picture of her waiting by the door for her mom to pick her up one day after school. She was standing by herself with her long coat on and nobody was near her or even talked to her. I knew that she had just learned that she was expecting and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody look so alone in my life. She only went to school for a short time after that and then she left.

It scared me. Certainly I knew by then how she got pregnant, but the thing I didn’t understand was why did she let her defenses down and give in to the pressure of some high school guy? Wouldn’t it be easy to say, “NO!”

Then I started dating. Yes, hold on to your hats because the hormones of high school age kids is a wild thing! Something happens to common sense when you’re smooching with a guy in a car. Just saying it like it is!

I remember there was one really cute guy on the football team that every girl in the school wanted to date and I think he mostly had! I never in my wildest dreams thought he would ask me out but he did. That was a time in my life I will never forget. I learned some very important things that evening and heard some profound things in my head and heart.

It all started out pretty simple; party, pizza, music. Then the couples started going to different rooms and leaving two by two. So this young man said he would like to take me on a ride before he took me home. He had a nice car and my adrenalin was high from just being there, so I said ‘Yes’.

The car ride led to a pretty secluded place in our town where many people were known to go park, if you know what I mean. I was very naïve and young and didn’t know what he had planned. Was I ever in for a surprise! 
(continued)

No comments: