Monday, July 18, 2011

The Recommendation Series – Two – Stop, Write, and Send

Note: This series is going to deal with recommendations on how to live life to the fullest.

Stop, Drop, and Roll is an action to help save your life if your clothing catches on fire. The same concept is true of stop, write and send. Let me explain.

When my husband developed a brain tumor, we started our own webpage called Care Pages. It was a website where we could write updates on how he was doing during his treatments and surgery. So many people took the time to write encouraging words to us on those pages. Throughout the three months of his treatment, during the surgery, and afterward the volume of notes and emails continued to grow. When his sudden and devastating death happened, the pages raced to over 400.

Before and after the funeral and for two months longer we kept the pages up. My family would read all the notes and be comforted. Some people wrote verses, some cried right along with us, and others sent condolences. It was the most amazing thing to see people pour their hearts out in expressions of love to our family.

During our days the Lord brings people to mind who need those same comforting, caring words, and we need to stop and send them an email or a card. I have hundreds of cards from well-wishers who wrote lovely notes to me and my family. All of my children have cards they’ve received and kept throughout the last five years. Often, I’ll just read two or three and it’s a real blessing to me. I printed out all the care pages and reread parts of them when I need some encouragement. I can’t even put them into one notebook there are so many!

Don’t tell me you don’t have time. Don’t even go there! If you have time to read this post, then you have time to stop, write and send an encouraging note or email to someone God’s put on your mind. It may be an inconvenience to you but to the recipient, it’s like two arms lifting her up and carrying her through a difficult situation. Don’t just choose any card but choose one specifically for that person. God will lead you to one. And if you send an email be sure to let her know you’re praying for her and then do it! We’re so busy in our lives that we say, “I’m praying for you,” but may never really take the time to pray.

Remember these three words: Stop, Write and Send. They may not save someone’s physical life, like stop, drop and roll, but they can produce comfort to a hurting heart! Be an encourager today!

No comments: