Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Mis-qualified Parent!

Ever wonder why you can’t figure your kids out? Ever think this parenting thing is in the too-hard-to-do category? Ever wish you could transfer to some other kids’ homes and see how THEIR parents are reacting to the same things you’re going through? I can honestly say a qualified “yes” to all of the above.

OK, so I’m weird, that’s a given. But I have been on the brink of making some pretty rash decisions when it comes to dealing with my kids. Oh, so you don’t use the word kids, you use the word children. No, I use the slang word kids because it fits. Don’t ask me why. I guess I’m not the most proper parent.

But, really, what would make a tween pick his nose and wipe it on his sister’s pants? HUH! And what about showing a reasonable amount of manners at the table? Burping? Really? Sitting with your back against the chair and letting all of your food drop onto your newly purchased discount retail store school shirt? Come on! Hard-earned money bought that shirt and blueberry stains don’t come out easily! (Insert small, inner temper tantrum here.) It seems like no matter how much they are taught about manners and how to act at the table, they do just the opposite.

I was raised in a family with three daughters. The burping and gas-passing was never something that happened at our table. We understood those were private matters. So why do boys bring out the worst in what I grew up doing only behind closed doors? It’s almost like something they have conquered and want to boast about it! I don’t have a clue why that is, but I do know that no matter what, it’s going to happen. It doesn’t matter where you are, whose house you’re in, what function you’re attending or what restaurant you’re at…don’t bring your teenage boys or else these actions will happen closely followed by uncontrollable laughter with grunts and snorts. I’m sorry, it’s the truth. That was when I was sure God meant these boys to belong in another family—certainly not mine!

So what do you do? Did God make a horrible mistake and put me in the wrong family? Am I unqualified for every aspect of this job because these kids are certainly not turning out the way I’d planned? The answer is no, absolutely, no. I’ve learned more about how to be humble and gracious, how to accept and enjoy, and how to be in life more from my kids than anyone else. They’ve taught me unequaled love, compassion for the underdog, and all about a servant’s heart. I’ve watched them grow from bizarre teenagers to adults who hold responsibility with respect.

Was this the wrong job for me, this parenting thing? Nope. It was the perfect job because God ordained it, planned it, and created it just for me. I can do this thing called parenting! I may be a little weirder at the end of it, but I can do it! Thank you, God.

No comments: