Wednesday, March 21, 2012

When Words Aren’t Enough-Open to Misinterpretation series No. 1

I like technology. I like the way it allows you to interact with friends and family around the world with little or no interruption. I like the fact that you can even see someone through Skype or webcams for meetings so you can watch their reactions to what you say. There is nothing missing in interactions involving technology except one thing—the presence of a warm body.

I’ve never hugged my computer screen like I hug my grandkids. But when the only connection I have to them is through the use of Skype to see their beautiful faces, then I’ll take it. It’s better than the alternative of not seeing them and only hearing them through the phone.

But there is a disconnect when I use Skype that is ultra-impersonal. Have you ever felt that way?

It’s impersonal because I can’t see them looking right at me. I don’t know if they’re playing video games while they’re talking to me or what! Likewise, when I’m talking to a business associate on webcam, I can’t tell if they’re texting or IM’ing someone else while they’re talking to me. There is a small element of distrust involved in this way of communication and it can become very frustrating!

I am a proponent of eye-to-eye meetings. I know, I know, that’s not keeping up with the world, but in a face-to-face meeting I can actually feel the vibrations of the person I’m talking to. I can see those minor little twitches of their smile and nervousness in their eyes that is not detectable on a webcam. It’s felt, like static electricity in a room. If I were to equate it to anything it would be like a mother who instinctively knows when her child is lying. How does that happen? They’re able to watch firsthand the child’s reaction to a question asked of them. She just knows!

So is technology still great? Certainly. It’s just not my chosen mode of meeting someone for the first time. I daresay I’ll get reproof on this one but bring it on. We can meet for lunch and discuss it—or you can Skype me. ;-)

No comments: