Thursday, September 9, 2010

Have you divested your Stuff Mart?

I loved Veggie Tales when they first came out. My absolute favorite was Madame Blueberry and the Stuff Mart. It showed all the stuff she kept buying and taking into her tree house. Pretty soon the tree house began to bulge and bend and finally blew up with all the stuff in there! It was funny…until you applied the message to your own life.

I recently moved from a house where I’d raised my family for 36 years. It wasn’t a move I’d planned on. God moved me because I needed moving. My kids planted a dumpster outside on the driveway and said very nicely but firmly, “Fill it.” Since my home was being rented and I was moving to a condo, I knew I needed to divest as much as possible. Some of it was very difficult to go through because of a loss in our family, but the rest of it really needed to go.

I’m not a collector of any one thing, just a lot of little things that were all in tubs in my basement waiting to be…ah…well…I’m not quite sure what I was waiting to do with them. They just seemed like something I should keep. You know, hang on to until the rapture!

Then I got to thinking. What other things am I holding on to that maybe can’t be dumped in a dumpster? You know what I’m talking about. Those things that a relative said to you that hurt and upset you, or something a friend did to you that you can’t get out of your head. All that stuff that’s just hanging around waiting to come up again somewhere down the road in your subconscious and upset you again. Why do we hang on to that stuff? Why can’t we just let it go, divest it like garage sale leftovers? I don’t ever want to be compared to a Madame Blueberry who keeps imputing and never divests anything.

How about you? Are you holding on to something pretty tightly right now? Something that you think you can’t let go of but know you should? Just give it up and hand it over to God, the one who can help you get rid of it. He knows where a good dumpster is and will even lead you right up to the edge with a good hefty throwing arm. Just do it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too have done this recently upon God's orders! Thanks for posting this....I will repost if thats ok!! Nanette (Norman)Chapman