Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Just Smack Me!

Surely you’ve said this line before, “If I ever do that again, just smack me!” Right? Well, I have said it and I meant it. Good friends can help you not repeat bad behavior patterns, but you have to still love them after they smack you! However, if the shoe is on the other foot and someone you love is making mistakes, you wish you could correct them. Right? To pull them out of their selfish, high-minded, crazy lifestyle that is ruining their life. You just want to shake them or slap them into reality!

I’m not for violent reprimands—don’t get me wrong. This is just a figure of speech. But the reality of it is, people do dumb things that affect all those around them, but they can’t always see what they’re doing. No matter how you try to tell them they don’t see the pain they’re causing. It’s especially hard if these people are family members or (worse yet) believers in the body of Christ. Oh, there’s nothing worse than trying to make a church member see where their life is a mess. Believe me, I’ve tried. It’s only caused bad feelings and heartache. I mostly keep my mouth shut these days.

But what does Scripture say about helping a brother or sister in Christ? How do we help them see the wrong turns they’re making in life? Proverbs 10 and 12 have two verses that put God’s perspective on it all:

“He who keeps instruction is in the way of life, But he who refuses correction goes astray.” Proverbs 10:17

“Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction is stupid.” Proverbs 12:1

These verses tell us that gaining instruction (from God’s Word) is what helps people stop making bad mistakes. It’s working on their personal relationship with God, reading His Word and listening to God’s directions for a life that pleases Him. It’s really up to them to make the corrective changes. There is nothing I can say that will change them until that relationship is restored, which tells me that the verbal smacking is not what they need at all. What I need to do is earnestly, faithfully pray for them to grow closer to the God who created them, loves them, and wants them to be successful in living their life. That’s my job, not giving a verbal retort.

So start praying today for those people you love who need to turn their lives around and not make crazy mistakes they’ll regret later. Oh, by the way, before you do, read Matthew 7:1-5.

No comments: