Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Worm Hunt

When I was young we used to go fishing almost every weekend in the summer. That meant that on Saturday night, after the sun went down and the ground grew cool we’d begin the worm hunt. Now we’re talkin’!

My oldest sister never took part in it. She was too girlie or something. She didn’t fish either. What’s up with that? Me, my middle sister, and my Dad would each get a flashlight and an empty tin can and wait on the porch for just the right time. Then we’d begin walking barefooted across the cool earth. It was best when it rained for a little while then got dark. The big fat worms came out then! Quick as a flash we’d shine our lights on the ground and grab the worm wiggling out of its hiding place! They didn’t like the light and didn’t come up in the warm summer days. They loved the cool, wet nights and so did we. The worst part was asking mom if we could store the worms in the refrigerator. Now there was a test of a mother’s patience!

I loved those worm hunts. It meant we weren’t in the hot house doing chores or just watching TV. We were exploring and hunting! I don’t know too many girls who do that. Anyway, we’d go fishin’ the next day with loads of big fat worms for all the perch to bite on. It was great! One time I remember catching 72 perch. What a haul!

These days, people, especially women, don’t fish much. They’re busy doing this and that, here and there, for whatever reason. I think if I brought up the fact that I love to fish in some of the circles I’m in I think people would drop dead. I don’t look like a fisherman. I look more like the grandma, mother, Bible study leader, working woman I am. That’s a shame. I’d like to look more like a fisherman some days.

Most of all I’d like to be doing it with my Dad. He’s 86 now and doesn’t go fishing at all. That’s a shame too. He used to love to fish with us girls. Now, his hands are all gnarled with arthritis. He can hardly hold a spoon much less a fishing pole. He often repeats things and longs for the olden days. I still love him with the passion I did as a little girl. Those times running around the yard with a flashlight and a tin can were precious to me because I did them with my Dad.

So what have you done with your Dad lately? Called him? Paid him a visit? Talked about old times? Gone fishin’? Time’s flying by. Do something with your Dad today. And if he’s no longer here tell your kids and grandkids about him. It will bring back the feel of the wet grass on a cool summer night like it was yesterday.

1 comment:

Nanette Kane said...

Loved your story, Terre...I am one who also likes to fish....and we just moved to a great place on the outskirts of town...where we have a BIG POND with Blue Gill!! I can hardly wait till this weekend and catch a mess for dinner!