Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Got your ears on, good buddy?

My parents are 86 and 87 years old. They often say, “What did you say?” Their hearing isn’t what it used to be and it’s frustrating for them when they’re misunderstood or they can’t hear something.

I wonder if it’s that way with God when He’s trying to talk to us. I imagine He grows pretty frustrated with us for never paying attention to Him or only hearing what we want to hear. He’s constantly trying to lead us in the right direction, but we don’t want to hear Him. He says;

“Don’t go that way; it’s a disaster. The consequences will be hard for you!”

“Stop, that’s the wrong decision!”

“I have the best of plans for you but you’re walking away from me.”

Yes, He’s talking to me alright. I sort of hear Him in the distance and often feel him pushing me in a direction, but I ignore Him like I never heard Him say a thing. Why do I do that?

Selfishness, pride, thinking I know what’s best. No wonder He’s frustrated with me!

Lord, help me listen, really listen for Your voice. Help me hear You while the fracas of life whirls around me. “Turn us back to You, oh Lord…” (Lamentations 5:21) “You are my rock and my fortress; therefore, for Your name’s sake, lead me and guide me.” (Psalm 31:3)

So got your ears on, good buddy? Are you listening? He’s calling out to you!

No comments: