Friday, February 25, 2011

Missions 105-The Trip Home

Almost everyone was ready to go home when the time came. The bad thing about coming home from a mission’s trip is this: some people want to know how you did but very few want to take the time to listen! It’s true! When you pass someone in the church hallway they ask you, “Hey, how was your trip?” But do they ever stop to listen to what God did in your heart during that time? And what about your church? How long did they give you in the service to tell about the two weeks that just might have changed everything you thought you had planned for your life into what God really wants for you? Most of the time it’s 5-8 minutes. Oh my! That part always upset me a little, even though I knew that churches have so much to fit into their schedules. I often recommended that the students have something after church for those who had prayed for them and taken part in their ministry oversees financially. Those were the folks who wanted to hear every detail and hear your heart.

One trip home I will never forget. We were sitting in the airplane on the runway taxing into the right spot and one of the girls leaned over to me and said, “Hey, Momma Ritchie, I’m going back!” I said, “Good for you Sara, I hope you do.” She said, “No, I’m going back. I signed up for another trip back for 2 years!”

WHAT! Did she just say what I thought she said? After much more conversation I knew God had gotten hold of this young lady in an amazing way. I’m so glad I got out of the way and let God do what He did best in her life. Here’s the story on that one:

When Sara first came into the interview room at college I thought, Oh no Lord, not this! She had Goth from one end to the other, piercings, tattoos—you name it. That alone scared me to death! But I had this five-star system that guaranteed she probably wouldn’t make it on the trip anyway. If, by the end of the interview she had answered all the questions and received all five stars, she was in. I really didn’t know how to pray for this one.

Well, during the course of the interview I found out some amazing things about Sara, and also about myself. I found out how she was saved in a backyard Bible club. How she had brought her Mom (Lutheran) and her Dad (Catholic) to church and they had both been saved…and so the story goes. By the end of the interview Sara had all five stars and I was dumbfounded. Thank you, Lord, for helping me to not go on first impressions! I could hear her heart.

Sara literally changed her whole life on that second trip. She had become enamored with a little baby girl names Luiza on the first trip. On the second trip, that little one became attached to Sara. Through several more trips back Sara decided to live in Romania for 7 years until she could legally adopt Luiza. Today, Sara is married to a Romanian, lives in Detroit working as a social worker and has another beautiful little girl. My, my, my God can work miracles!

So have I convinced you to try missions yet? Do you have an upcoming opportunity this spring or summer to take part in a mission’s trip as a student or even as a family? Just do it! You do not know what blessings God has in store for you that you may miss completely if you stay home. Broaden your world view. Open your heart to the Savior who wants to do ‘exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think’! You’ll never regret it!

No comments: