Friday, December 7, 2012

The Comfort Series 3 – Comforting Words

Last evening I sat by my 89-year-old mother’s bedside. She had taken a fall and broken her hip, and is now in the hospital. Her advanced dementia has prevented any normal conversation for almost two years now. It was strange seeing her old and lying there mumbling.

Suddenly, she became agitated and began talking out loud. She said things softly at first but then began speaking in a normal voice and saying, “I know Tom Ritchie, I know Tom Ritchie, I know Tom Ritchie!” That would mean nothing to most people, but it meant the world to me. You see, Tom Ritchie was my husband who died in 2006. He was a very special person who cared so much for others. He’s now enjoying everlasting life in heaven because he accepted Christ as his savior.

As my mother continued to talk, she said something else pretty profound. Let me give you some background first about her statements. When I was born, she wrote in my baby book: “She’s the ugliest baby I’ve ever seen.” My dad later wrote: “You just didn’t get a very good look at her.” From the moment I was given that baby book as an adult, those words have stuck in my heart like a knife. I wondered why my mom didn’t even like me from the moment I was born. That’s a big load to carry around with you and it deeply bruised our already tumultuous relationship.

Last night, she began saying out of nowhere, “I’ve got a baby, a pretty baby.” She repeated them over and over about 50 times. I finally leaned down to her face and asked her, “What’s the baby’s name, Mom?” Loud and clear she said, “Terre, my beautiful baby.” That’s me!

I cried, at first just a little. Later, when I was safely inside my car, I cried a lot. Maybe those were the confused words of a dementia patient, but to me they were a gift. She may never say them again and I’m alright with that. But I did hear them.

I truly believe that God gives us what we need right when we need it most. I needed to hear those words from my mother before she passes away. That may not happen soon, but it could be in a minute. Thank you, God, for that wonderful memory.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

What a beautiful story, Terre! It brought tears to my eyes...Do you know what I find especially striking? If you had chosen to live filled with bitterness and resentment because of your mom's unkind words, you probably wouldn't have been at her side that day. But because of your obedience to God's Word (to honor your father and mother, and to forgive), you were able to experience such a blessing! God is SO GOOD!

Kathy said...

I wondered two things when I read your touching story. Did she actually see Tom ready to welcome her and did she see her baby (you) through the eyes of God. My beautiful beautiful baby.

Thanks for sharing your miracle from God to break the bond of hurtful words for so many years.