Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Red Hatted Girl Series 1


I was trying to be cool on the ice and this boy was skating circles around me. Why did boys have to skate so fast? And that crooked smile—what was that all about? His eyes were crystal blue and amazing!

It was right after Christmas and I was on a retreat with all the high school kids from my church. My little group of girlfriends and I had shuffled out to the center of the shoveled skating area on the lake at Kensington Park. It was rough and hard to manipulate, but we managed to get there. Ah, success! Now everyone would notice us, all the little 14-year-old girls trying to be so cool and in control. We couldn’t skate, not one bit. Half of the time we’d fall on each other, be embarrassed, struggle to get up, and try all over again. It must have been quite amusing for the adults who were watching.

Regardless of our comedy act, I thought I was so cool because of the handmade knitted red hat I wore. I was so proud of that hat because I’d made it myself. We continued to giggle and pretended to ignore the parade of boys skating around us as they pretended to start a hockey game.

Suddenly, a swoosh zoomed by me and I heard him laugh. He’d swiped my hat right off my head! Of all the nerve! Who did he think he was anyway? Then he balanced himself in the corner of the snowy rink, laughing with some other boys. I didn’t want him to think I even noticed, but I did. Those eyes, so brilliantly blue and that smile was captivating. I looked away. Again, that swoosh and then he was gone. “Hey, blue eyes,” he called from the corner. “Nice hat.” Ugh, boys! Why were they ever invented? But wait, that’s why I was shivering in the middle of an ice rink, so the boys would notice me. And my cute hat. Hmmm, I’d have to think about that one. That memorable weekend started off to be very interesting!

Note: This is the beginning of a book I’m writing about my life. I’ll start when I met my husband and describe how 40 years of marriage can change and mold you into the person you were meant to be. I’ll explain my relationship with my heavenly Father and my earthly one, and all the events in between. Would you read it if I wrote it? I’m just a normal person wanting to leave a mark for Christ on this world. I’d appreciate your comments.

No comments: