Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Proverb Piece #1 – Commit Your Works, Proverbs 16:3

“Commit your works to the LORD and your thoughts will be established.”

Most times I think this verse is taken backward—we think about something and then do the works. But here the Lord is telling us to DO the works and then our thoughts will be guided or established afterward.

Let’s talk about this. If you had the choice to step out in faith, what would it actually take for you to lead out in that first step? Would you have to have all your proverbial ducks in order, the last jot and tittle marked, and the entire process planned step by step? I have to tell you that I am not this person.

When the LORD lays something on my heart to do, I will most likely step up and do it now, not later. It is through this process that I have learned how to place complete trust in God. Some have equated it to stepping out of an airplane door 50,000 feet up and knowing beyond a doubt that your parachute is going to open. That’s me. If I am sure God has placed the work in my head to begin with then why wouldn’t He help me accomplish it? Maybe that’s why people think of me as the oddball. I have no fear of failure!

As I look at my life in retrospect, I can see how this commitment has helped me focus more on God. I truly believe if we are as close as we can get to Him through reading His Word and through prayer that He will direct our thoughts to do His works. Don’t let that work of kindness, that telephone call you need to make, or that job you need to do for someone pass by as a fleeting thought. If you’re living your faith-life as you should, God might have placed that thought in your head for a reason. Step out, do it now…without fear! HE will provide the blessing and your thoughts will be established on Him!

No comments: