Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Break Out of Your Rut!

I have always been a child at heart. I love to think like a child and wonder how “older” people would react if I actually did what I was thinking! Oh, heavens!

I’m sixty-two years old and I often wonder what it would be like to do crazy things at my age. Like learn how to skateboard and ride the rails! Or bungee jump. YES! What about drive a really fast race car in the Indy 500? Then I could always surf the “big one” in Hawaii! Yeah, there ya go. Dude, that sounds gnarly! Am I crazy or what? No, don’t answer that.

I guess I’m just one of those people who has done a lot of things in life but still wants to do more. Are you like that? Or are you…old? Have you settled into life like a well-worn recliner? Do you give old answers when people ask you questions? What do I mean? Well, if I were to ask you, “Hey, would you like to go on an impromptu vacation?” would you answer by saying that you have to have a plan and map and schedule of where I’m going and you have to know five weeks ahead of time and it takes you forever to pack? That’s an old answer. I’d rather hear something like, “Yeah, where are you going? Let’s do this thing!” Maybe I’m too impulsive for you or maybe you’ve just lost the impulsiveness of childhood to take a chance on doing the unplanned.

I think the best vacations our family ever took were the ones we didn’t plan. We just threw stuff in the camper and took off. We didn’t make reservations or plan out a road trip map or contact a travel agent. We let the open road be our guide and just made the most of it. I loved that part!

Our lives can become too planned if we’re not careful. Every day becomes like the last one and we can grow into a routine that’s so boring even our phone apps are sleeping! I can’t believe that’s God’s plan for us. He’s created a world to explore and people for us to meet. We can become so steeped in our daily patterns that it’s hard to break away. I think that’s one of Satan’s ploys to make us content, comfortable, and c-o-m-p-l-a-c-e-n-t! Boring!

So try this on your next free weekend. Starting with Friday night, don’t make a plan—just throw a few clothes in your overnight bag, grab your camera, your family or a friend, and take off! No, really! Take off in some direction that’s new. Don’t take the expressway either. Travel on a road you’ve never been on. Don’t use your GPS or check Mapquest. Just go! Spend the night in a bed and breakfast or some out of the way place. Grab the tent and spend the night in a state park. Do something new, adventurous, different. You’ll be amazed by how it adds a spark you may not have felt in a while. You’ll also be surprised by how much you look forward to the next unplanned weekend!

Oh, don’t write to me complaining you have a bad experience either. That’s just part of the adventure!

No comments: