Monday, March 28, 2011

Making a Decision with Wisdom

Recently, there was an opportunity to make a pretty big decision for CBH Ministries. It dealt with standing on principle (what our organization is known for) or simply completing the project because it was expected of us.

I chose not to make the decision from the top, but to allow those involved in the project to come to a conclusion as a group. That’s a hard thing for me to do as the leader, but I was more interested in seeing what would happen as a result of their choice, not mine.

As in most corporate organizations, the leader is expected to make decisions for the company or ministry. The thing that impresses me more is to find out if the administrative workers know me so well they could make the choice that I would have made anyway. If that happens, then I know I’ve done my leadership job well. If it doesn’t happen, then I still have much work to do.

Leaders are known for what they stand for, not for what they don’t stand for. Standing up for what is right in the eyes of God, being a person of integrity, and being compassionate toward others are parts of my character I pray people see. Knowing those traits and bringing them to the forefront of leadership happens in the decision-making process. How I choose to handle certain situations and in what manner I handle them will be the true test of my Christian character.

I’m waiting in my office right now for those folks to tell me their decision. Will this go as I hope it will? Is there another viewpoint I need to see? Ah…here they come!

YES! It’s just like I’d hoped. They made the right decision but came to the conclusion from their own point of view. Now that’s what I’m looking for.

Do you have decisions you need to make? Are your decisions made according to life principles that are not negotiable? Pray that the LORD will make you wise in your decision-making. If you are a leader, pray that those in your care are learning—not just your ways—but the ways that are right in the eyes of the Lord. Above all else, pray that you will continue searching for wisdom in all your decisions in life. Psalm 51:6 says it best: “Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts (where no one but God sees) and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.”

No comments: