Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Critical Attitude


Do you know a critical person? Someone who can’t see the good in anything or struggles to find joy? I know critical people. Sometimes it’s difficult to be around them.

Some comments a critical person might make:
Me: That’s a beautiful sky. Not a cloud in sight!
Critical: Yeah, but think of all the pollen the wind is blowing around. I know I’m going to be sick.

Me: I’m so glad the weekend is here!
Critical: Yippee. You work all week and then work all weekend at home. Oh joy.

There are times when I withdraw myself from people with critical attitudes because I don’t need negativity around me. But then the Holy Spirit convicts me: I need to show them more love! What a strange relationship this can be.

God’s Word tells us in Proverbs 17:17, “A friend loves at all times…”  I think that means that no matter what attitude this person has, I still need to love them like Jesus loves them. I can’t begin to criticize them like they criticize everything around them. I need to encourage them to see the good in life. I need to be their joy!

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” I like that quote, but I also like the fact that God included the word “love” in his description of friendship.  So how about you? Do you have a friendship that needs a little love? As hard as it can be, try to demonstrate that Christ-like love today!

No comments: