Monday, November 19, 2012

The Comfort Series #1 – Prickers on my Pew



I’ve been teaching Francis Chan’s Crazy Love book in devotions at work and also in our ladies’ Bible study at church and it’s making me uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable!

It’s not that I don’t like the way Chan writes or what he teaches us, it’s the subject matter.  It focuses on trying to encourage me to do more. I don’t appreciate feeling like I’m not doing enough with my faith. I can feel the prickers poking me on my chair.

What do I mean by that? When I take a look at myself as a believer, I tend to look at myself with an “I think I’m OK” face in the mirror. I teach the Word, try to live out my faith as best as I can, and then this guy comes along and upsets my apple cart! He tells me that maybe I’m not doing enough or maybe I’m not living the kind of life God would choose for me. Who does he think he is—my conscience or something?

The truth of the matter is, he’s right. Self-righteous people often think they’re doing enough and don’t need to grow or need anyone else’s help in figuring out their spiritual life. They think they have life pretty much under control. Nothing could be further from the truth though. If we don’t check whether we’re meeting God’s mark, then we’re failing. We need to check this every day.

That’s why I’m uncomfortable. There is much, much more that I could be doing as a believer. I am failing every single day. Like this list, for example:
1) How many people have I told about my Savior this week?
2) What kind of love have I shown to my neighbor this week?
3) What can I give up that will free my time for more service to my King?
4) What don’t I need to own? 

And the list goes on and on and on!

I’m beginning to figure out some things about myself that are a little too up-close and personal. This is the first one—I’m too comfortable. That’s why I keep finding prickers on my pew when I do the lessons for Chan’s book. They are convicting me that I need to get out of that chair and into the field. Stop saying and start doing. Ouch! Have you felt a pricker on your pew lately? What are you going to do about it?

Stay tuned for more in this series about being too comfortable.

No comments: