Monday, November 12, 2012

At the End of the Road

Last month, I took a trip to Maine. I have wanted to visit this picturesque state most of my adult life, so it was a dream come true. I have no connection to anyone there, but I had a pastor who grew up in Maine. He spent a great deal of time talking about the scenery, the food, and the people. When I found out I was going for sure, I emailed him and he told me some great little places to visit. I was so excited!

We visited beautiful, quaint towns all along the coastline. Usually we would find a lighthouse at the tip of an island, so we’d head out on the narrow roads to take a look. Some of the sights at the end of the road were breathtaking.

Huge rocks and tall cliffs stood mightily along the shore where the surf pounded them daily. A small, well-groomed caretaker’s house was always next to each majestic lighthouse. Sometimes we could take the winding staircase to the top of the lighthouse and other times we could just walk around the outside. When the lighthouse was closed, we could appreciate the view of the coastline.

I could sit for hours watching wave after wave retreat and then pounce down with amazing intensity on the huge rocks in front of me. There was something therapeutic about the sound of those waves and their dance of force. The spray of salt water made the scene postcard perfect.

These moments reminded me of some friends I’ve known over the years. Some seem to weather a storm no matter how hard the waves of despair or defeat crash down on them. They gather their beaten selves, stand with firmly placed feet, and wait. They challenge the next blast of pessimism or attacks from satan with the hands of God helping them stand. It’s an amazing phenomenon to watch.

Other people I know fall down at the first spray of disaster. They can’t stand up against anything and they whimper and cry in defeat before the pounding surf comes on the scene. Their faith in God is so shallow they fall like a tree with only surface roots. FLAT on their faces!

Oh LORD, make me steadfast, like the tree in Psalm 1: “He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither and whatever he does shall prosper.”

No comments: