Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Are you experiencing The Great Adventure?

Life is such a complex physical and spiritual thing. It fuses our actual being, like the way we live and our family connections with our spiritual minds, our character and our soul. When we consider how we affect the space we live in or those around us, it becomes even more complex!

Steven Curtis Chapman wrote a song a few years ago that certainly stated what our lives should be. The words to the song are: “Saddle up your horses, we’ve got a trail to blaze, through the wild blue yonder to God’s amazing grace. Let’s follow our Leader into the glorious unknown. This is a life like no other. THIS is the Great Adventure!” OK, I’m standing up singing those lyrics right now because they get me all fired up and ready to take on the world. That’s what adventure is all about, right?

In Jim Cymbala’s book Fresh Power, he makes these statements, “How we live is more important than how long we live. What is the sense of living a long life just to hang around and take up space?” If there’s one thing I don’t want to be known for it’s just taking up space. I want to pounce on life like a bucking bronco and experience it all. Sure, I’m aware that they’re not all going to be good experiences, but aren’t those the times when you grow the most? Those times when a trial comes along and you make a decision in your heart and mind to forge ahead and cover ground—because if you don’t you’ll end up hanging back, waiting to see how others do it for fear of how it will turn out. Those are called missed opportunities—and I truly believe some of them are more like missed steps of faith.

What are you accomplishing with the space God’s given you? I’ve know people who think constantly ”Life will never get any better than this. It’s all just work, work, work, and then you die.” Is that what life’s all about? I don’t think so. I’ve always considered this life an adventure like the song mentioned above. Every single day is something new to explore, do, or go to. Even going to the mailbox can be an adventure!

Opening God’s Word is another adventure. How can I read that book so many times and get something new out of it every single time? I have thousands of books but I’ve never read any book as many times as I’ve read the Bible. I’ve never, ever opened the pages without finding something I didn’t know before or some encouraging words I needed to read. Just try to name another book with as much adventure and as many thought-provoking words as the Scripture.

What’s your adventure going to be like today? Is it merely work, work, work, and then you die or is it more like…Let’s take this day by the horns and ride’ em, cowboy?

No comments: