Sunday, August 8, 2010

I'm a dreamer...

Ever since I was a little girl I can remember dreaming about what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I remember thinking about being a famous artist, or musician, or...something renown! Because of the God-given makeup of my character, I've achieved one of my most valued dreams.  To become a growing believer, learning more and more about Christ and His plan for me every day. Now...on to those other dreams!

Life often gets in the way of letting us achieve our dreams.  We grow up, go to school, get a job, start a family and those things seem to take precedence over our dreams.  Why is that? Can't the dream live on while we're doing all that other stuff?  I've never considered my family an obstacle in the way of my dream. They've been more like the cheerleaders alongside of me, urging me on to accomplish all I can with my life. But there are obstacles in the way of achievement.  They're called doubts, naysayers and ridicule.  These three tend to pull you back into dreamlessness faster than anything I know.

If you have doubts about achieving your dream then you need to begin a closer contact with the dream giver, God.  He's the best encourager I know.  Doubts can creep into any dream and cause you to second guess everything you're trying to achieve.  Stop, re access and press forward!

Naysayers are those outer edge friends who tell you it can't be done.  They haven't achieved much in their lives and they don't want you to succeed either.  You can kindly listen to them but you need to press their advice up next to God's.  You'll see an amazing contrast!

Ridicule by someone close to you can stop you dead in your tracts.  You begin to second guess yourself. Maybe I can't achieve this goal.  Maybe they are right and I don't have what it takes to go ahead.  Let me ask you this.  Did you ever hear God ridicule anyone in Scripture?  Did he ever make backhand comments to people that discouraged them from being what He created them to be and achieving the dream He placed inside them?  Take a little advice from His book and become an Encourager.  Ridicule is a lost cause and never produces winners. 

So...dream.  BIG!  He has created that little something inside of us that we've always wanted to do. That little spark that makes us smile whenever you think about it.  That warm glow that makes your heart just know it's what will make you happy.  That's God-given.  Listen to it.  Seek after it.  Find encourager's along the way who will help you achieve it.  Give God the credit for the dream in the first place, then, run toward it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And, He told us to do it: "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11.

Stephen O'Dell said...

Um, wow... Kinda scary how this post and my first post to my new blog really seem to have a lot in common! Check it out (and follow me): http://livestreamsproducer.blogspot.com