Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Do you know a stately lady?

I’ve known a few stately ladies in my time. They were ladies with an air about them that set them apart from everyone else. The first is my former pastor’s wife from Georgia. She was not only respectable and gracious in every way, but she was a true Southern belle. Her speech was a beautiful Southern drawl that drew you into her presence. Everything was said in such a comforting way that you immediately felt at home. Her name is Maxine.

Another lady who exuded stateliness was a volunteer in our ministry. Her hair was always done to perfection in that beautiful gray beehive. She walked and talked with eloquence only seen in movies. She held herself in a manner that spoke volumes of her experiences and depth of character. If she could hear this explanation of her she would probably blush with embarrassment and say I was more than a little off my rocker! Her name is Bea.

The last lady was a church member under my father-in-law’s pastorate. She always looked perfect. She had a smile that would melt your heart and eyes that sparkled in a way that invited you in. I remember always looking for her on Sunday because I knew she would lift my spirits by just being present. Her name was Mrs. Gray.

There was something about the way these women walked and talked that made me want to be like them. Was it the way they dressed? No. Was it their smiles and comforting words? No. I never even realized what it was until I became an older woman myself. It was their Christ-like reactions to everything around them. They held wonderment at God’s grace to them. They walked in confidence that whatever happened in their lives He would be in control and they knew whose they child they were.

Maxine was a circuit-riding preacher’s wife for a while. She knew what it was like seeing her husband pastor three different churches trying to balance all it involved. She moved to wherever God was placing her husband and she was content. There weren’t many close friends for a pastor’s wife, but she was an educated woman who had a take-charge attitude and used her calm voice to smooth the ruffled feathers of many a church-goer and parent . She was also the principle of a Christian school. The past few years have seen her health decline and lose some of that sharpness, but the smooth Southern drawl will never go away. Even as her life ebbs toward the end, she still maintains her soothing ways as she speaks with her family.

I don’t know much about Bea other than she’s still the way I’ve always known her. She’s compassionate, loving, kind, and caring.

Mrs. Gray, however, has gone on to glory to receive her eternal reward! Every child in our church adored her. I called her Sunshine because she just looked like a glow of yellow gladness whenever I saw her. She was a simple farmer’s wife. She worked hard raising her family and keeping her home while growing in her faith. She taught Sunday school and worked in Awana and anything else her church needed. I will always remember her as a willing worker who never complained to others about all she had to do. It was just another part of her Christianity that God expected her to fulfill.

All three of these stately women have left a lasting impression on me. They were each different but somehow the same.

So who are the stately ladies in your life? Is one a mother, an aunt, a grade school teacher? Maybe it’s time you checked your stately status to see if you qualify. After all, if you’re a child of the King, you have a right to the status!

No comments: