Thursday, February 27, 2014

Busybody Business

 A few nights ago I ran across an old rerun of The Waltons program from the early 1970s. I had to laugh at their simple and somewhat carefree way of life.

I also was laughing at a certain character playing the town busybody in this episode. She knew everybody and all their business. She could tell you what each of the children in the Walton family did after high school, where they went to college, and how they were doing in their studies. She also was aware that the current child that was graduating didn’t know what she was going to do with her life and made a point of telling her that she was nothing like the other children.

I also remember a person who went to one of the churches I attended as a young married woman. This gal spent half of her time sticking her nose into everyone’s business and the rest of the time letting everyone else know all the details. Whenever you wanted to keep something a secret you certainly knew who not to tell!

One label that is not a good one is busybody. Scripture even reminds us to mind our own business. In 
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 (NLT) it says (emphasis added):
Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before. Then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live, and you will not need to depend on others.

In 1 Timothy 5:13-14 (NLT), Paul instructs Timothy how young widows shouldn’t become busybodies.
they will learn to be lazy and will spend their time gossiping from house to house, meddling in other people’s business and talking about things they shouldn’t.  So I advise these younger widows to marry again, have children, and take care of their own homes. Then the enemy will not be able to say anything against them.

I have learned over the years to steer clear of people with the reputation of a busybody. Sometimes their half-truths can be so hurtful to the people they are talking about. Once I remember speaking directly to a person I would call a busybody and telling her that I was not concerned about what she was speaking of and then I simply walked away. I can only imagine what she said about me! But then, I’ve learned that busybodies are seldom believed when they repeat information.

If you’re concerning yourself with others’ business and problems more than your own, maybe it’s time to look in the mirror and check your label. Does it say busybody? Or does it say busy doing God’s work? Make sure you look closely so you can read ALL the letters, not just the ones you want to see.­­

No comments: