Thursday, February 13, 2014

Things TO BE before I die Countdown #3 TO BE a Better Student of the Scriptures

I have often wondered if I ever got captured and was imprisoned for an extended period of time, would I have memorized enough Scripture to get me through? It’s a strange thought but for some odd reason it’s always been in the back of my brain. I am weird; I admit it.

I know there are a lot of Awana and Bible Club kids who have memorized Scripture over the years, but I wonder how many of them could recite those same verses today? Could you? Of course we all know the verses that are widely known like John 3:16 and the Lord’s Prayer. What about the rest of the Bible? Do you have significantly large pieces of it memorized?

Years ago when I was going through a very difficult time, I memorized Romans 8:18.I remember why that verse came to me and I still know it today because I repeated it every morning, noon, and night for months. I never needed or felt so close to God as I did during that time. He was my Father, my friend, my closest confidant. I told Him so many things that I never told anyone else.

Verse 18 starts this way, “For the sufferings of this present world are not worthy to be compared to the glory which shall be revealed in us.” I was suffering; I was sure about that. I didn’t even know or care if I was in this present world. All I know is that I felt like the center of my life was completely gone.

Anyone who has lost someone knows that feeling. You know in the pit of your stomach that life has changed forever. In the morning you don’t hear the ever familiar whistling coming from the kitchen while the coffee brewed. In the evening you don’t get that welcome home kiss. At night the other side of your bed is flat and empty. Oh how I needed the words of God to comfort me then and now.

But I always remember the last part of verse 18; my suffering was not worthy to be compared to HIS GLORY being revealed in me. All of my woes would be like an eye’s blink compared to what was ahead! I had all of His Glory that was going to come into play in my future. What could that mean? How was it going to be revealed to me? God had given me something to look forward to in the days ahead.

When you memorize God’s Word he will bring it back to you just when you need it most. It flickers through your subconscious and you remember every word with clarity! It fills the void that the world has left and comforts your troubled soul. Begin today to hide it in your heart and let it fill your mind with words that are holy and pure. 

No comments: