Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Things TO BE before I die Countdown #7 TO BE a Better Listener

A mom puts both hands on either side of the small child’s cheeks and bends over so they are almost nose-to-nose and quietly says, “Listen to me.” I’ve seen that happen over and over again in grocery stores, shopping malls, and play areas when Mom needs the child’s undivided attention. I think God does that to us too when He wants our attention.

There’s a great portion of Scripture in Isaiah 55 that focuses on the abundant life. God says, “Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in abundance” (NKJV)It’s like God had to put His loving hands on each side of this great nation’s face and gets down on His knee. Listen! This is what I have for you! You won’t get it if you don’t listen!

Do we take the time to get face-to-face with the people we love and proclaim in their presence our love for them? Do we actually listen when they have things to tell us? Let’s take your children for instance. Do you always stop what you’re doing to pay attention to what they’re saying to you? Do they have to grab your cheeks, pull you down to their level, and speak right into your eyes to get you to listen to them?

That’s one thing I’ve always appreciated about Uncle Charlie, our ministries former director. With all the children that he has spent time, he would always get down on one knee and look right into their faces and make them feel important! Oh, how they loved that!

Take some time today to try this with your children. Don’t make anything too important so that you’re not paying attention to them. Do the same thing with your spouse. Look them right in the eyes while they’re talking to you about their day. Don’t glance away, don’t glaze over and let your mind wander to work on other responsibilities. Listen to your mate and what’s important to them! You’ll be truly blessed!


Father, help me to pay attention. Help me to not concentrate on anything or anyone other than the person who is trying to talk to me. If you have to grab my cheeks and turn my head, then do it! I want to be known as someone who puts importance on people and what is going on in their lives. And Lord, above all else, help me listen to You!

#7    Be a better listener.
#8   Be more Mercy-filled.
#9   Be able to be broken for Christ.


#10  Be a sacrifice with my life, talents and gifts.

No comments: