Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Things TO BE before I die Countdown #6: Be less concerned about jobs and busyness, and be more concerned about others.

I often get this response when I ask people how they are doing, “I’m just so busy!” I usually bite my tongue when they say that and if you've read this blog for a while you know I've spoken about this a time or two.

When I was growing up, I don’t remember hearing anyone say the phrase, “I’m so busy.” Why weren’t they busy back then? Moms did laundry in wringer washing machines for crying out loud, I know that took time. They did most of the baking at home instead of buying it at the story ready-made.That's hours out of a day!  Dads worked regular office hours and came home every night to their families. Was I living in a bubble? And how could all those things go on without me hearing the phrase, “I’m so busy!”

Today, we acquaint busyness with worth. If you’re not busy, you’re not worth much. Oh, believe me, I’ve read about 20 articles on busyness and they all say the same thing. Here’s a quote from the New York Times that puts things into perspective:

Notice it isn’t generally people pulling back-to-back shifts in the I.C.U. or commuting by bus to three minimum-wage jobs who tell you how busy they are; what those people are is not busy but tired. Exhausted. Dead on their feet. It’s almost always people whose lamented busyness is purely self-imposed: work and obligations they’ve taken on voluntarily, classes and activities they’ve “encouraged” their kids to participate in. They’re busy because of their own ambition or drive or anxiety, because they’re addicted to busyness and dread what they might have to face in its absence. 

Ouch! Is that true for you? Do you fill up your calendar with extra activities just to prove the point that you’re busy? Chill out! Your kids don’t have to be at the center of every school activity. You don’t have to schedule every evening doing busy activities just to prove how valuable you and your family are! There are times you just need to BE! I mean, don’t you just want to do nothing for one night? One evening where you can sit and think and listen and veg out?

If you look in God’s Word you will see something very important.  Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God.” It doesn’t say be so busy that you don’t have time for Me. It says, be still. It does say how much God loves you (Jeremiah 31:3) and that you don't have to prove anything to Him because He already know you inside and out (Psalm 44:21).


When was the last time you were still enough to listen to God? Last week. Last month. Last year! If the only time you’re not busy is when you’re sleeping, you’re in trouble. Stop right now and take a look at your calendar and prioritize. Start with God, then your family, then the rest of life. Being busy isn't an occupation, it's an excuse.

#6     Be less concerned about jobs and busyness and more concerned about others.
#7    Be a better listener.
#8   Be more Mercy-filled.
#9   Be able to be broken for Christ.


#10  Be a sacrifice with my life, talents and gifts.

No comments: