Monday, February 17, 2014

Things TO BE before I die Countdown #2 TO BE a better parent/grand-parent

Oh, how I wish parenting had come with a manuscript of what was going to happen. I have wanted to know the ending of this play ever since it began!

I didn’t know anything about raising a baby when I had my first child. I had never babysat once when going through high school. I got married just after graduation, turned 18, and 17 months later gave birth to my first child. Good grief! I was still a child myself!

I was scared to death to take my son home because I had never bathed a baby or taken a child’s temperature. I’m surprised they let me take him out of the hospital! Little did I know that soon he would projectile vomit on me and poop on every piece of clothing, including my entire lap
.
Thankfully, my wonderful mother-in-law started teaching me the basics. She had raised five children and had been through just about everything you could think of with babies. I was so extremely thankful for her!

But no one told me children were emotional time bombs and had spiritual needs.

Raising children is not a piece of cake, as my husband used to say. It’s hard and fun at the same time! When they’re young it’s just plain scary. But when they become teenagers it’s another story. Who is this person and where did they come from? That question was on the tip of my tongue a thousand times at the end of a school day.

My husband and I were fortunate to have four children, each different in every way. Three boys and then a girl. How that little girl made it through life with three older brothers I will never know!

Now that my children are all grown with families of their own, I get the joy of being a grandparent. This job is much, much easier and more enjoyable than being a parent.

I’ve learned that there is no changing an adult child’s mind and that I should keep my mouth shut more often than give my opinions. I’ve found out that my kids are all as different today as they were as children and that their children are following in their footsteps! I laugh to myself when I see a child acting just like their parent. (Secretly, I think they deserve everything they get, but I’d never tell them that.)

Parenting was fun, ever-changing, and challenging. Grand-parenting is so enjoyable because they all live in their own homes! Seriously, I willingly took the parenting job because I love kids. I loved seeing my own grow up and develop the abilities and talents God gave them. And today, I’m proud to say I’m their parent. Although I must admit when they were teenagers and people would ask me if I was so-and-so’s parent I would reply, “Why? What did they do now?”

God has taught me many lessons along the way as a parent and now as a grandparent. The most important one is to give of myself whenever I’m needed. I only have one shot at being a parent and what I do with it is up to me with God’s help. I have to be willing to ask for help and that’s where my mentors came into play. I had people I could go to and ask questions, seek advice, and just vent to about my struggles. They were the most supportive people and I really needed them at that time. So, today Iwant to be just like that for some other young parent.

God also is teaching me how important it is to be a grandparent that is available. Working full-time for a few more years doesn’t allow me to make it to every activity at school and church, but I try. I’ve found that buying hoards of Christmas presents is not the answer either. It’s more important to give smaller, more meaningful gifts that are from me, not just a store.

I certainly wasn’t a perfect parent and I’m sure you aren’t either. But with God’s help, prayers of friends, and a good set of mentors, I’m sure you can make it through. Then turn around and help someone else! There will be an end to this play someday and I hope the last line of mine reads: She cared.

No comments: